View Single Post
Old 2008-08-27, 16:08   Link #66
Emperor Lelouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundampilotspaz View Post
Has anyone else thought of the possibility that Britannia was just a way to represent the western world and their conquering of Japan and attempt at conquering China were ways to represent the cultural dominance that the west has had on the east in the modern era. It seems that the entire west is painted as the enemy and the heroes of Code Geass are all Asian nations.

I could just be reading too far into the show. ^^;;
Well, I think Britannia looks like 1900s european colonialist powers like France or Britain. Britannian policy for areas looks like a compromise between French and English colonial policies: areas are not semi-independant sattelite states neither simple subdivision of Britannian administration.

That's remember me some arguments use by japanese propagande during World War Two about european colonialism in pacific and in favor of Great East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere (Lelouch made an allusion in turn 10.)

However I don't believe it's some kind of anti-occidentalism because
1) well around half of the cast is western (Britannian)
2) well the most important characters are Brits, the big bad but the "true innocents" to
3) the most important "asian" characters are Kallen (she is half-brit) and Suzaku (he is honorary brit)
4) important or badass asian character are not well develloped (Todo and Xingke are the best but...)

And we need to remember that Japan is seeing as a mid-occidental country by fellow asian countries, then.
Emperor Lelouch is offline   Reply With Quote