View Single Post
Old 2009-12-27, 01:49   Link #222
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki View Post
But fans like that all they see is a few name changes and some stuff switched and automatically assume its been butchered to death without realizing the stuff that made all the shows so great were still intact, hell Next Generation (MOSEPEDA) wasn't even edited much at all nude scene between Scott Bernard... I'm sorry I mean.. "Stick Bernard" and Marlene... erm.. I mean "Aisha" still aired on TV in all its glory I have it recorded on my VHS tapes still, but it was removed in later boradcasts. But theres so much misconception that the mob mentality takes over and no one wants to figure out whats really "butchered" or why. And ANYONE and I mean ANYONE whom remembers the 80s vividly knows why ROBOTECH had to be created.
I see you conveniently forgot Southern Cross back there, which is what most people (rightly) claim took the brunt of the "butchering".

I don't know about "mob mentality", but just one reason I prefer Macross to Robotech the First Generation, is that when I watch the episode where Hikaru launches to fight in the final battle where Boddole Zer orders the planetary bombardment of the Earth, I don't think "decades down the road, things will come full circle and this guy will be on the other side of the guns".

Nothing but the names were changed to protect the innocent?

Quote:
.... I'm speechless.... as I don't know how a terrible 80s commercial illustrates anything as they were ALL terrible, but here's one:
"The Zentraedi are evil through and through" bit may not reflect the true image intended in HG's adaptation, but it's a painful reminder how Robotech tends to dumb down the plot issues and characters into black and white caricatures of the original plot and characters. Sentinels, as an original work, showcases this in the worst way, in that the original major villains are all complete monsters.

Last edited by glyph; 2009-12-27 at 02:26.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote