View Single Post
Old 2011-01-06, 23:00   Link #240
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Just finished Macross. Great series.

I was interested in Macross after all the buzz about Frontier, but I heard Frontier was a sequel rather than an alternative universe series like Gundam 00, so I approached the original TV series instead.

And boy was it good! The story can be cheesy in places, especially concerning the love triangle and the ridiculous protoculture shock (which was hilarious on the most part), but it was emotionally engaging. Aside from a few hiccups, the story flowed well with little unnecessary padding and something to say nearly every episode. Action scenes were very well thought out and didn't stretch the physical limitations of the in-series universe too much. The deaths in this series were effective and very sad without being dwelled on for too long. The entire series has this incredibly sweet and romantic atmosphere to it which often put a smile on my face.

Spoiler for final arc:

Overall, Misa was my favorite character out of the cast. She was just fantastically developed as an adult character and I felt sorry for her when she got the short end of the stick in many situations. Claudia, Global and Britai were awesome too. A very good cast this has.

I somehow doubt Frontier will top this, but I'll see someday when I do watch it. One question:

Spoiler for Macross:
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote