View Single Post
Old 2012-08-11, 00:01   Link #1557
DoomRavager

What was stopping them was that they couldn't get people to fund an Alternative adaptation which was what they really wanted, but eventually managed to convince sponsors to squeeze out some cash for an adaptation of a shorter sidestory i.e. Total Eclipse instead, part of which was based on using TSF sales to convince them it could work. They didn't agree to fund Alternative or their own anime-original story, they agreed to fund Total Eclipse which was seen as the least risky option financially (and the frequent off-model issues should be an indication that they are having budget issues even then).

And me calling it Titty Eclipse has nothing to do with you going back to that that one thing you said one time because even ML fans call it Titty Eclipse, seeing as Total Eclipse =/= Muv-Luv Alternative in the premise and story they're trying to tell, because it really is just expanded worldbuilding and fanservice (both of the mecha tech kind and the usual kind) for people who played Alternative. The same reason why it would be hard for any newcomer to give a crap about those dudes in Alaska if they had just dropped right in. Assuming we're referring to the same one thing from that one time, because you're not being very clear.

Quote:
which sounds like it's a much more logical continuation of episode 2, from what I've read
You'd be surprised. I can say almost for certain that if they'd started with those two episodes and then segued into Alternative, you'd have almost the same complaints for about half the show or so, with them running around doing training and character and backstory building for quite a while without much of a trace of danger before they really get thrown into the front lines of the war "in the same style", except you'd be even more lost backstory-wise regarding the main character and primary heroine(s). The original fight for Japan kind of doesn't really matter any more in either Total Eclipse or Alternative, aside from the backstory including a part of the outcome of Operation Lucifer to retake Japan which provided certain somethings that both Total Eclipse and Alternative needed as part of their plots, so the depiction of Kyoto really is primarily fanservice.

(is that considered inappropriate game information? I mean it's pretty vague and doesn't really give anything away. I'll delete it if it's too much.)

So sorry, it's unlikely they're really going to get back to Kyoto, or the retaking of Japan, since the whole thing was originally just backstory to begin with. Certainly there'll be other large scale engagements against the BETA in the future, but they won't be about Kyoto. So when you say you want to see more of how they bounced back after Kyoto, all I can say is that I'm sorry you feel that way, and hope there'll be more BETA soon.

But you've dropped the show anyway, so what does hating Argos Test Flight or any future events matter to you?

@Micropod: I resent that first statement but the latter is somewhat true.

Last edited by DoomRavager; 2012-08-11 at 00:47.
DoomRavager is offline   Reply With Quote