View Single Post
Old 2012-11-18, 02:06   Link #193
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
On a somewhat different note, does anyone else get the impression that without the exercise of human discretion, the SIBYL System is inherently rigged to eventually kill whoever gets identified as dangerous?

The society in PSYCHO-PASS is somewhat conditioned to treat the psychological rating as almost a matter of life and death, and if they get identified as having the wrong CC, they unsurprisingly flip out from the shock of realising what that means.

Attempts to flee or resist arrest are invariably treated as hostile, and quickly raise the CC rating high enough to seemingly justify lethal force, with very little way of actually getting the rating to go down quickly. There's no right to appeal once that happens when you're missing half your body.

It's also interesting that there's a contrast between Ginoza's almost slavish insistence on solely using a Dominator to determine guilt, and the Enforcers' comparatively old-school ways of doing detective work to identify the facts and circumstances. In the most recent episodes so far, you have to wonder whether it's the really the Enforcers running the entire investigation.
A lot of people will agree with you, but in my opinion, I personally find a lot of these reasons unjustified.

The only people killed so far are those who attempted to kill anyway.
The rapist being flagged would have caused him to get treatment as the street robots advised, not killed, but he justified raping someone because he decided to think his CC would be high enough to consider him a latent criminal, especially since he was already considering 'sex with a real woman' (probably in a rape style situation, considering he was enjoying torturing her) anyway.
The situation Akane created with the rape victim caused more panic, the victim still got paralyzed (after she fixed the situation) and the victim got her treatment anyway.
In my opinion, for them to force treatment on to people who need serious help seems to be society justifying intervention. Do people who should be considered on suicidal watch stop being suicidal on their own? Do alcholics stop being alcholics on their own? etc
And, even if a few miraculously do, without ever reaching the stage of harming themselves or others, what percentage would that be? 1%, 2%, 0.005%?

As for Ginoza vs Enforcer's investigarion techniques, Ginoza's uses actual evidence, whereas the Enforcers are using circumstantial and speculative evidence. The fact that the intelligent (lethally dangerous) criminals hide their traces well is why they use Enforcers, who are essentially able to think 'if I'm going to commit a crime and get away with it, how would I?" which is speculation.
As it stands Sibyl's CC is treated as scientific, 'physical' evidence, like a footprint or DNA test, except its "measuring" your mentality.