View Single Post
Old 2009-03-27, 16:09   Link #371
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Kitamura's going to America to be with Sumire, Yasuko's reconciled with her parents, Inko-chan said his name, Ami's accepted Ryuuji as a friend, Minori's fulfilling her dream in pursuing softball, Noto finally made a move on Maya. What side character are you talking about?
I think some people might only be satisfied with a Dickensian-style ending: "A and B lived happily ever after, had two children, and eventually went into retirement still very much in love with each other. Of their children, one became a doctor and the other a barrister, etc. etc."... three pages of this stuff, half a page for each pairing . The Fruits Basket manga had something similar, if I remember correctly: skip to the epilogue, and the two teenaged protagonists are suddenly an elderly couple walking hand in hand -_-

Quote:
It's just that I feel that on it's own this ending they created is very satisfying and honestly, sounds better in several ways than what I've heard about the novel equivalent. Really, I can't think of a more complete and fulfilling ending to a show, for frame of reference what would you say is better?
Clannad's ending had a greater emotional impact simply due to the nature of the story, but also problems on a much larger scale, so in balance, I'll have to say Toradora wins overall. As for the "journey"... well, Toradora was the most addictive show ever. Enough said.

Hmm, all of this talk has got me interested in reading the novel at some point. I'll probably buy the (licensed) Chinese translation because Japanese novels translated into English just don't flow well for some reason... and it's not only linguistic issues, but the style of writing as well.