View Single Post
Old 2008-06-07, 11:08   Link #965
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*shakes head* Goose, that's proving my point. You throw around a few random terms and compare them to some american army teams I never even heard of and expect everything to function like the good ol' army you're familiar with. I believe we established a long time ago that the TSAB doesn't function like a normal military unit. Throwing around logic like that is, quite frankly, meaningless. The whole 'but the GF can yank them out of RF6' doesn't sound anything as logic to discard the idea. Sure, it is technically possible for them, but why would they do that?
*headdesks repeatedly at Keroko missing the goddamn motherfucking point*

Let me rewrite that and then explain for you, Keroko. I am not in the best of moods after spending a 12-hour shift dealing with morons and the scum of the paying public as well as morons in the call center who, like Comartemis, refuse to listen. Even when they are wrong. Let's leave that aside and get to the essay.

Now, Comartemis is saying that RF6 is going to wow everyone that they will all fall over and worship the aces. We have seen from history, and human nature, however, that this is not true. The British Special Air Service are the most sucessful special operations unit in the world, and have a great many detractors. The US Army's elite Delta Force, the supersecret counterterrorist team, went through a rocky start: despite having similar levels of backing and support as did Hayate, Delta was nearly closed several times by Army brass who disliked the fact that special forces were upsetting the status quo. The same thing happened with the US Navy's SEAL Team Six, which was a maritime counterterrorist unit; the regular Navy hated SEAL Team Six and kept trying to close it down for a long time. (In fact they suceeded in doing so: SEAL Team Six was disbanded in 1991. It was, however, quietly restarted under the name of Naval Special Warfare Development Group.)

In the 1980s, the US Air Force was doing all it could to kill the idea of special operations, so much that it was actively sabotaging the 21st Special Tactics Squadron, the only special operations unit in the US Air Force. One of the more spectacular times was when 21st STS had to deploy to Panama for Operation Just Cause... and the USAF cargo plane that was supposed to take them took off without them.

What is the point? The point is this. It is unreasonable to expect that RF6 will wow everyone. RF6 is the new kid on the block. It is upsetting everyone's status quo. It is grabbing people from here and there. It is being led by a GIRL, and not only that, a CRIMINAL. And RF6 is going to wow everyone and everyone loves them?

The crew of the USS Enterprise-D loved Ensign Mary Sue this much as well, as some who are old enough to recall will remember.

This has nothing to do with the military. It has everything to do with human nature. We humans don't like it when someone shows us up, when a noob shows up and does better than us. This has happened before to units made of mundane people. How do you think the rest of the Bureau is going to react to being shown up by a bunch of girls? Hell look at Ghost in the Shell: Section Nine is badass, and they keep getting fucked over by politics. And Aramaki is an experienced wheeler and dealer.

Consider that.

As for yanking the girls out of RF6? Setup for drama. GF brass gets jitterry and decides to overreact by yanking Nanoha and Fate out. From there we have a number of branching points. 1) NanoFate go like good GF soldiers. 2) NanoHayaFate mass togther, limiter all release, and proceed to show GF brass why you do NOT fuck with the Aces. These are just two rough general outlines and there's actually more ways to develop this but I'm tired and my eyes hurt so I'm not going to bother and anyway I'm writing things in a different direction.

Though really as stormturmoil pointed out in IRC (you really should come in here at times), GF would he rubbbing their hands with glee at getting 3 aces. The problem is that they don't want all that firepower massing together.

Also, Keroko, with regards to the hypocrisy of the military geeks who have made the TSAB more restrictive than it is in canon: show me where I have done so. In fact we actually don't know if TSAB discipline is just relaxed at RF6; note that many special forces units in the world are very relaxed about such military details. Hell the OFM go DRINKING TOGETHER. And PARTYING WILDLY. And ERICK JOINS IN. If that's restrictive... i dunno what is. And Franz is always being punished with more paperwork instead of more appropriate punishments.

But really, the whole crux of this is simple: We're interested in how Comartemis will carry out his plans.

We'd just like him to at least listen and remember that commonsense still applies to dealing with people.

That said I will make a conscious effort to tone down the abare and approach his stuff with an open mind. I would like you all to note, however, that I have not been frothing at the mouth or going abare, which is generally a good sign.

Also as regards to something Comartemis said on Hayate's political capital: If you want her to have political capital, she's going to be shafted in the deployment, comar. Political capital is only built up through years of wheeling and dealing and office politics: this was pretty much what killed Colonel Charlie Beckwith's career; he spent so much time in the field he neglected political powerplays and got shafted out of becoming the first head of the US Special Operations Command.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote