View Single Post
Old 2009-06-04, 23:26   Link #57
Midonin
Last Engage

Half the time going into something I have only the vaguest idea of what the source material is about, and even if I know something, I'm expecting a completely new experience on the screen regardless. It could be because I see a series more through its music (and as a sort of sub bylaw of that, by its characters. If I get to know the characters, I can appreciate their character songs. Unorthodox? Maybe. Will I stop seeing things that way? Unlikely.)

I never quite got how a story that happened in the anime first or happened differently is any less valid. The characters are still themselves, their adventures still committed to a medium of entertainment. The chance to see something new. How "a good adaptation = exactly the same" works is something I could never wrap my mind around. Word for word, page for page, frame for frame. After a while that must get a bit repetitive. Mediums will be different, and if the stories will be different, then I say let them be. I'm just here to enjoy the show.

Which is why, to swerve this right back into the topic (again), bring on Season III!