View Single Post
Old 2011-02-28, 12:50   Link #160
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
Sayaka's a main character who found herself in the wrong genre. Her character, her belief could've mean a lot more and be a major strength has it been in other series. Such a way for Urobuchi to slap the idealism in the face.

Anyway, what single minor issue were you referring to? I saw multiple events building up through the past 4 episodes that just attack her sense of identity within a short time frame. It's true her blunt approach to things does not help with the situation, but to dismiss it as "over a minor issue" is still an understatement of the circumstances surrounding her.
The revelation of her soul in a gem, being outside her body. I suppose this one can be up to personal beliefs, but if my soul and body still exist and can still execute normal functions, then I find it logical to assume that nothing is truly hampering me from carrying on my normal life.

If Sayaka had never been told this, then she would have continued life as normal, perhaps even dating Kamijou. She never would have known that anything was different. So it's all in her head; she's driving herself insane, unable to come to grips with the fact that she is still relatively normal, and can still do everything she wanted to before.

That's why it feels like a minor issue to me, approaching wangst territory.

"The intended Woobie becomes a pathetically whiny character who insists on crying (often loudly and repeatedly) about a Dark And Troubled Past or event instead of, you know, trying to deal with it and stop being depressed all the time. Especially if said "trauma" doesn't come across as nearly tragic as the character thinks it is, making his lamentations seem way out of proportion."
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote