View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 23:25   Link #21
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Before I get into the the discussion regarding the main cast, I'd like to address something about a certain member of the secondary one
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
While we're talking about characters, I'd like to bring up Kuhouin Arisa, who had some development that was painful to me:
Spoiler for Arisa's development:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah, I agree with you on Airsa. In fact, I have a question here...

Spoiler for Arisa question, very spoilerrifc:
Spoiler for answer:

Quote:
Shu seems to get hated on a lot, but I like him a lot as a character. He's very human throughout the entire series, and seeing his growth and reactions was pretty inspirational. I get the impression that people stopped watching this series at two major segments: in the very beginning, when Shu seems to express a lot of back-and-forth thinking about joining the Undertakers, and shortly after the halfway point of the series,
Spoiler for Shu personality shift:

I also found it very well-done how the series handled the situations that Shu was placed into. In the beginning, Shu accuses Gai of using people as tools; midway through the beginning, Gai basically reveals how he feels about being the leader. In the second half of the series, Shu is accused of using people as tools, and expresses somewhat similar sentiments as Gai about being a leader. Seeing it go full-circle like that was really nicely done.
Again, like I said about Ayase, on paper all of Shu's actions and attitude in those situations was perfectly justifiable and understandable. Even at the start I remember that some had mentioned that Shu character could indeed become inspirational by his decision to not run away for a second time when Inori was in danger. And you know, there is some of that in the show now in the end with him forgiving everyone for the betrayal. Even the entire point about Shu criticism of Gai as leader and his usage of people as tools was also a nice development about the difficulties of leadership.

However, we get to how it actually played out in the show, and things start to not look as good as they should've been. Episode 10, where Shu goes into his withdrawal, was honestly painful to watch since at that point there was very little reason for me to like Shu as a character, and seeing him actively trying to get people to feel sorry for him made me throw up a little in my mouth. It didn't help when he was trying to take advantage of Hare's feelings either ...

The whole bit about him becoming Führer wasn't that good either, since it came right after the heels of the premise of the need to divide the students into categories according to a device that ranked them according to arbitrary numbers (instead of how useful their voids is, or even their value as a person in labour or something more substantial) that might I add they had not a clue where it came from nor was it a good idea to choose a system that encourages the students to divide against each other (effectively putting an en to the unity you mentioned in the student body and delving the entire thing deeper down the road into further chaos).

As for the Gai/Shu leadership comparison, it might look good in theory but when the actual thing is compared, it falls flat since Shu had went from his wimp stage to his nice leader stage to his Führer stage to his current Jesus one in a very, very short time to the point where I felt it had gotten lost in the middle of all the fast transitioning. Hell, the recape episode underlines the very point you brought across about Shu's hesitation about using his friends as tools better than the show did! That's how badly that sup-plot got muddled up.

So even if I do agree with you that it was a good idea, I'm afraid I don't agree on that it was well done.
Quote:
Going into it a bit...
Spoiler for Motivations:
All what you said was fine, and I agree with you completely that the course of action Shu had taken afterwards, and the F-ranks treatment was understandable. However, this all goes back into how the F-ranks were pushed into this direction after Shu had taken on a system that made the F-ranks feel effectively useless, so again, while the actual development might be sound, the way it started wasn't.

Quote:
As for what happened after...
Spoiler for Betrayal:
Well, there was the ''MY ARM! MY POWER OF THE KING'' bit, but I do agree with you that the way the betrayal played out was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Spoiler for MAJOR Guilty Crown Spoilers:
Too bad that made him think she wasn't ''there for him'' and only Inori was the one who stood by his side. Guess she should have let him cop a feel after all