View Single Post
Old 2012-11-04, 00:47   Link #89
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primary Consult View Post
Anyone else notice the story has switched entirely to Suguha's POV (except for the Asuna scenes) since the "logout" scene of last week? Until now they've only switched out of Kirito's POV for whole episodes twice: Once for Silica and once for Lizbeth (and since they were side stories it was less noticeable)...
Yes, I like the perspective shifts. This was something I found rather lacking in the first arc, which was pretty much camera-locked to Kirito all the time, and even then didn't have that much narration except when absolutely necessary. It feels like we're starting to see the situation from multiple angles at once. I agree that Suguha's perspective is pretty well-conveyed here. Even though she's becoming a "renegade" to help Kirito, you can see pretty clearly that there's a big part of her who wanted this all along, and Kirito is just giving her the little push she needed to fly out of the nest (literally). I only hope that she won't feel her wings were clipped too much once she figures everything out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He's not that bad, but yes, he is the kind of "nice guy" who expects a happy end if he just sticks with it long enough. Too many movies with that exact plot, I guess.

(And I don't see how he's much like Kirito. Even in-game, he's not that good. ...)
I agree that he's not really like Kirito, except in the sense -- I suppose -- that they're both (apparently) geeks. If I were to guess, I'm supposing that Suguha probably approached him out of the blue to ask him to help her figure out how this VR stuff worked (since her brother was in the coma at the time), and he probably started thinking this was his "chance". But yeah, she had her own reasons, and they had little to do with him. Recon seems like the person who's okay to just tag along, but Kirito is much more driven and determined. Basically, you get the sense that Recon will never leave the "nest", and that's not what Suguha/Leafa wants. She wants to be free.

(Actually, now that I think about it, this whole arc is just as much about freedom as the first arc was. The first arc was freedom from a death game, but now this is more "freedom of will/destiny".)