View Single Post
Old 2013-02-05, 15:52   Link #3606
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
For the record, I did use VNs to practice reading. Of course, that's not all I used, but point is I used VN a lot to increase my exposure to Japanese writings. I used AGTH to extract the texts as I play and copy-paste them to a dictionary/translator program, which is a major source of my knowledge of kanjis.
Yes, I think reading anything would be practice...

It's just that if you're starting out with kanji (as I assume OP is since s/he implies s/he will have his/her first JPN class soon?), reading VNs is just not feasible. Unless you have a tooon of patience to use AGTH. Though the more you know, the less you'll be leaning on AGTH for support. I tried reading a VN with AGTH back when I only knew 40 kanji, and uggghh... It took way too long. But that is me, I'm sure if you have a game you really want to play no matter what you would perservere.

But if OP already has decent kanji knowledge, then I'm sure they'll get great, efficient use out of AGTH. But still, learning kanji is not really like learning words in languages which only use alphabets. With alphabets, no matter what you will be able to at least pronounce the word with even basic skills. With kanji you must study and commit them to memory, at least in the beginning.

OP How many kanji do you know? Are there specific visual novels you are dying to play or are you just looking to use them for reading practice? I cannot say if kanji are harder to learn than English because English is my first language, but I can say that learning kanji is much harder than learning other languages I have studied that use alphabets like English, for reasons I stated above. I hope that still answers the question?

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-05 at 16:03.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote