View Single Post
Old 2011-01-27, 18:10   Link #27
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I'm not sure I can follow this bit. Madoka said she would never forget Homura, but Homura's reaction was shown after Madoka said she would never forget that Homura saved her yesterday. Granted, this is said in the same breath, but if she wanted to react to the first half they would have cut to her hand instead of focusing on Madoka.
Seems extremely far-fetched to me. Both parts (that she wouldn't forget Homura-chan, and that she would never forget that she had saved her yesterday) were hurriedly stammered by Madoka while the camera cut over to a waxen face of Homura, devoid of any life or reaction, staring into space, but closing the grip of one hand of hers. There is no indication whatsoever that this (non-)reaction was supposed to indicate her emotions only to the second half, but not to the first.

Quote:
I think the reaction is more indicative of guilt--either of her own inability to prevent Mami's death, or because of some reason that Homura haters may support.
Makes no sense. She's 100% free of guilt concerning Mami's death - she wanted to take over, was immobilized by Mami, and still warned her about the peculiarities of the witch, but was ignored. There's noone else to blame for Mami's death than Mami herself. There has never been any indication of "guilt" after Homura's rescue either.

But even more important is how Homura answered that after the brief pause: That Madoka was way too kind/caring, and that she HAD to let go and forget - because otherwise her pain would only increase. Essentially, she's telling Madoka the same thing she always had: She doesn't want Madoka's eternal gratefulness in her thoughts. She wants the opposite: To be forgotten so that Madoka can get away from this whole messy business (in my reading: That's exactly what she wished for when she removed Madoka from being a MG. It would also serve as an explanation why she did it in the past: Because Madoka's caring personality was suffering as a MG because she could NOT let go and forget in the past either).

No. This is not about personal "guilt" which would be entirely unwarranted in the first place. This is about the past, and Madoka unknowingly poked in an old painful wound, causing Homura to flinch and momentarily tugging at her mask of extreme emotional self-control.

EDIT: Heh. This is why I should wait for the subs before going into bigger detail, it's been getting even more clear when I rewatched it: Right BEFORE Madoka's outburst Homura gave Madoka the old "that's how it is as a Mahou Shoujo, you can't help it, you're going to be forgotten in the end" tune, Madoka remarks that she would definitely not forget Mami. Absolutely not! To which Homura replied that Mami would have been happy knowing this. And that Homura is feeling envious about this.

How much clearer can it possibly get? Homura is envious about Madoka's absolute determination to remember Mami. This is what prompted Madoka's outburst that she'd never forget Homura and what she did for her either. But Homura isn't happy about that, her face utters a lifeless/doubtful "Oh?". Because she knows for a fact that all good intentions notwithstanding, Madoka already HAS forgotten about her before.

Last edited by Mentar; 2011-01-27 at 18:23.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote