View Single Post
Old 2007-02-01, 17:04   Link #214
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

It's too early to make any sort of proper judgement on these characters since we still know virtually nothing about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
As for Ichigo Mashimaro, I didn't see those characters as flat so much as deep. Or if the surface was flat, the humanity was deep. Except for Matsuri (strangely enough), they all seemed like real people to me. They were, it is true, meant to be universal humans. For me, the big plus of that show was the humaneness of it, how it showed us people in all their flaws and wonderfulness. Besides the loli surface, that's where Manabi and IM are similar. IM is one of my all-time favorites, and a proof that "moe" and "serious" can go together. Besides being the funniest anime ever made, for me.
IM serious? There were like two or three serious moments in the whole thing. The vast, vast majority of it was comedy. And they may have been realistic archetypes, but that doesn't change the fact that none of them got any significant amount of character development. That's what makes them flat, IMO. But IM can get away with that, since it doesn't have a plot. What it can't get away with is not being funny... which I thought was the case with the last four episodes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I liked what someone said earlier about Manabi: that she was like a young Suzumiya Haruhi. I'd say she was Haruhi before she realized the emptiness of life. Or something. Haruhi's manic activity was a bit desperate: she wasn't really confident that she ever would find the excitement she needed. Manabi makes her own excitement. But I just rewatched ep2 last night and was struck by Manabi's down moments. Perhaps there's some doubt inside her, as well.
I think there's a bit of Haruhi in Manabi, but there's also a bit of Haruhi in Mei, and arguably a bit of Haruhi in Mutsuki. I think it's more the show itself that carries a similar energy to Haruhi, but the characters not so much. And I think it's moreso when they're together as a group.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote