View Single Post
Old 2007-11-02, 10:33   Link #94
mdauben

Why? Well, I guess I have a few reasons why I personally liked Gundam Wing.
  • Yeah, it was the first Gundam I watched (back on CN) so it was my introduction to the whole mecha genre. As such it holds a special place in my anime collection.
  • The mecha designs in the series remain some of my favorite. The actual Gundams were all distinctly different, with different looks and fighting styles, and even the "grunt" mecha, were all very creative and unique.
  • There is lots of action, some personal drama, but not too much angst (Quatra's little OTT episode can't compare to never ending fountain of emo that was Shinn Asuka, for example)
  • While I would not rate it the best anime ever, or even the best Gundam anime ever, even years after I first saw it I still enjoy watching it and will do so at least once a year.
To me, those are reasons enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I shop around the world for hobby goods, and even those not located in Japan, SEED kits are most definitely prioritized over Wing by a significant margin. Of course, UC kits remain popular in many cases.
Remember thought, that Seed is much more conteporary than Wing. Gundam Wing was originally broadcast in Japan over a decade ago, and even the US broadcast was 6-7 years ago. That's a whole generation ago in anime fandom terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atilim View Post
Simple, most wing watchers don't watch anything else then Gundam Wing.
This is probably often true, but not always. At the risk of being branded a heritic, I enjoyed Wing (with all it's flaws, which I am well aware of) better than I did most of the UC shows I have seen. It's just a matter of taste, I suppose. Still just becuase I like Wing does not mean I have to hate UC, and I never quite understand why so many UC fans feel they have to hate Wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
But come on Wing Zero Custom had feathers!
Yeah, but that was just in Endless Waltz, wasn't it? The mecha designs took a definetly turn for the worse in that movie, at least IMO.

In fact, after all this talk, I think I'll pull out my Wing disks, and watch it again this weekend.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote