View Single Post
Old 2005-12-25, 13:06   Link #54
Linkthe1st
L33t Otaku M45t3r

---h.264---
Seriously I don't mind this codec since I have a good PC and it gives me no problems. However looking at it from a distribution perspective it's not a good choice after all not everyone who watches anime has a fast PC that can run the CPU intensive coding it uses. My personal complaint is that I can't use the DivX player to watch files using this codec since FFD show doesn't work with it. Don't get me wrong using the windows media player 2 (version 6.4) isn't bad (I used to use it only) it's quick to respond simple and effective but it doesn't have any controls you can use while in full screen mode. I would personally stay away from this codec for personal reason and distribution reasons.

---MKV---
I can understand This containers advantages but I can not understand why anyone would want to use it at all. The cons out weight the pros here. My main complaint is that I have to use Windows Media Player 10 which I don't like at all. Cripe WMP10 has no easy access controls and the space bar dose not play and pause the movie not to mention those annoying top and bottom borders that take oh so long to disappear and cover subs in the process of being sluggish. Also MKV is not very size friendly I have Comic Party Revolution (5-13) on my HDD and its sucking up 2.28g because of the extreme file size the MKVs generate (I’m waiting for someone to release AVI copies of the episodes). I find MKV to be the least desirable form of encoding for any video file.

---XviD---
This is a codec to end all codecs it's supported by the basic free DivX bundle and only at the cost of a slightly darker tone in the video it compresses large moves into a manageable size of under 700mb usually. It plays in all media players and has no problem decoding on slower machines. This is the perfect codec to meet desires distribution and personal, it's small and clean! Exactly what you want in a file compression right?

---DivX—
It’s a good codec but the compression is bad though the quality is good and clean. Compatible with all media players I have ever used with no problem. Problem is that annoying logo in the corner all the time. It can’t compete with the XviD codec ever because of being the same with better compression and it plays if you can play DivX. On a side note has anyone noticed that XviD is backwards for DivX? Like sisters but the older one is less practical in terms of distribution.

I don't think that anything is better than XviD but that's my opinion and judgment based on stats I have seen and compression rates I have worked with. Feel free to tell me if I’m wrong regardless of what I have said.

Last edited by Linkthe1st; 2005-12-25 at 22:59.
Linkthe1st is offline   Reply With Quote