View Single Post
Old 2013-01-21, 17:02   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I’ve decided to go Fate/Zero sober on this one. I still think it’s the best of the year but only marginally and I want to give the others a better shot.

-{A1}- [Best Storyline & Plot] Tsuritama
And the only one on this list that I nominated was Fate/Zero so great start there. XP
It doesn’t feel right voting for Chihayafuru or Tsuritama since the reason why I liked those shows was because of their characters, not the plot. Well I’ll give Tsuritama a nod for having such a delightfully unusual storyline. Dropped Horizon after the first season: Couldn’t make any sense out of it.
Haven’t seen: n/a
-{A2}- [Best Visuals & Animation] Hyouka
Hyouka is the only one I nominated here and Hyouka is the one I think is the best anyway so no qualms there. Chuunibyou is just a slightly lesser version of Hyouka imo, and whilst Nisemonogatari has some nice art, I think I’ve grown a little too used to the Shaft style to be wowed at it now.
-{B0}- [Best Action-Adventure] Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Horray! Two of my nominations made it through and I’m not voting for either one of them! This time I’ll give my vote for Nobuna. Anyone who’s seen it and knows me will understand why. But hey action is pretty damn awesome and Madhouse really seems to have a knack for it. I nominated Jormungand but I never once thought the action was particularly gripping. I mainly nominated it for its style of “adventure”. The action in Mirai Nikki, I mostly just thought was silly.
-{B1}- [Best Fantasy] Natsume Yuujinchou Shi
Another category where two of my nominations made it through. Guess I’ll vote for one of them...
I consider Jinrui and Sword Art Online more Sci-Fi than a Fantasy really.
-{B2}- [Best Science Fiction] Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
So it’s no surprise that I’ll vote for Jinrui now. Well it’s the only one that I nominated anyway. I’ve seen all the others but I never even really liked them.
-{B3}- [Best Horror] Gyo
Gyo is the only one I nominated for on this list so Gyo is the one I’ll go for. Like I said before, “I could have maybe put in Mirai Nikki or Another in there but with the latter deteriorating into a perversely entertaining blood sport and the former being one from the get go, I didn’t really want to...”. Tasogare could be a little creepy at times but the weird lovey-dovey romance makes me hard to take it as a true horror. I really wished Wasurenagumo made it through...
-{B4}- [Best Mystery] Hyouka
I nominated Hyouka and UN-GO and although it’s a close call for me, I’ll have to stick with Hyouka on this one. UN-GO was clever but Hyouka was both clever and successfully created an innovative take on detective fiction.
-{B5}- [Best Drama] Sakamichi no Apollon
Err...I know I said Kokoro Connect was more pure drama but now I’m not so sure. On further inspection, it seems most of the drama was actually based on the romance. I didn’t nominate Apollon before because I thought it was more slice of life but upon further consideration it does seem like more of a drama. Imo, Chihayafuru had the best drama but all that drama was either Sports based or Romance based so I can’t really vote for that. And Tari Tari is more of a Slice of Life to me.
-{B6}- [Best Romance] Ano Natsu de Matteru
It was a very tough call between Ano Natsu and Tonari but Ano Natsu just wins out. I liked the romance in Chuunibyou but I didn’t think it was anything special. I liked that show more for its comedy. Nazo no Kanojo X, I just never liked. Everybody else seemed to enjoy it but it was just too bizarre for me. I get what it was trying to achieve but I could just never appreciate it.
-{B7}- [Best Comedy] Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
They’re all great really, but Jinrui is definitely a cut above the rest. Though, I would’ve liked to have seen Zombie Desuka in there since it had one of the funniest scenes I’ve ever seen in my life.
Haven’t seen: Yuri Yuri
-{B8}- [Best Slice of Life] Hyouka
In terms of slice of life Hyouka, Tari Tari and Tsuritama are all pretty strong contenders but as with the above, I definitely think Hyouka is a cut above the rest.
Haven’t seen: Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
-{B9}- [Best Sports] Chihayafuru
Don’t really think there’s a lot to say here...
Haven’t seen: Kuroko no Basket, Saki
-{C1}- [Best TV Series] Chihayafuru
An extremely close call between Hyouka and Chihayafuru but I reckon Chihayafuru is just ever so slightly better. Nice to see a category where all my nominations made it through, though.
-{C2}- [Best OVA] One Off
Not an inspiring choice if I’m honest. Funnily enough I actually hadn’t wanted any of these when the results came in and i needed to watch some of them in order to get some proper pictures (You have no idea how seriously I took carefully picking all 95 pictures). Arata Naru Sekai was interesting but predictably the OVA wasn’t enough on its own. The only other one I’ve seen is One Off which is a nice little story even if it’s nothing amazing. I dropped Nunnally in Wonderland after 2 minutes...
Haven’t seen: A-Channel, Azazel-san OVA
-{C3}- [Best Movie] UN-GO episode:0 Inga-ron
Another category where all my nominations made it through. I know I gave the FMA film the 2 points in the previous round but this time I’ll give my vote to the Un-Go film. Hotarubi was nice but I didn’t think it was as good as the other two.
Haven’t seen: K-On! Film.
-{D1}- [Best Female Lead] Watashi
If Watashi doesn’t completely run away with this category then I’ll be very surprised and I don’t see why she shouldn’t. Don’t get me wrong: Shizuku and Chihaya are great too but they simply wouldn’t last a minute with Watashi.
-{D2}- [Best Male Lead] Taichi Mashima
I think Taichi is the best here but I actually have no qualm who wins this category since I think they’re all great characters
-{D3}- [Best Antagonist] Kotomine Kirei
Yeah, I know what I said. But the fact of the matter is that he blows all competition out of the water. I just can’t not vote for this guy...
-{D4}- [Best Side-Character] Satoshi Fukube
Natsume is a wonderful character, but in the end I’m more partial to Satoshi.
Haven’t seen: Toki Onjouji
-{D5}- [Best World Setting] Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
To be honest none of these settings, even Jinrui, wowed me as much as the others that I actually nominated for. Shame none of those went through. Horizon, I just thought was a mess when it came to explaining anything whilst Accel World and Sword Art Online had a lot of wasted potential to them. And I’m always partial to fantastical world building so I really wanted to like those three too. Jinrui is definitely the strongest of the lot.
-{D6}- [Best Credits Theme] Sakamichi no Melody
It’s the only one I nominated but that’s fine because it’s the one I gave two points for so it’s the one I wanted to vote for anyway.
-{D7}- [Best Soundtrack] Guilty Crown
It really does pain me that I’d vote for Guilty Crown over Sakamichi no Apollon in anything and the Soundtrack category should definitely be the one area it shouldn’t be losing but the fact of the matter is that I’ve spent way more time listing to Guilty Crown tracks. In fact I’m still listening to them even now. Horizon had a pretty decent track though. Probably the biggest thing I liked about it.
-{D8}- [Best Ongoing Series] Psycho-Pass
I was genuinely surprised when I saw that Sakurasou managed to make it in this category. I’ve got nothing against it and heck I like it too since it is pretty unique in its portrayal of ambitions, talents, people who have them and people who don’t. But still, seeing it along side shows like Psycho-Pass and Shin Sekai Yori is definitely odd imo. I didn’t realise it was that well received.
Haven’t seen: Jo Jo’s Bizarre Adventure.

Shows that I’m now interested in:
Jo Jo’s Bizarre Adventure
Kuroko no Basket
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote