View Single Post
Old 2013-01-07, 10:25   Link #171
Shikijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
The biggest problem I have with Nisio Isin is that he tends to write these abnormal characters whose motivations and behaviour are so removed from reality that I cannot hope to comprehend them.
Araragi is such a character. Why is he happy to die for Hanekawa?
Dying was the only way he knew to stop the cat. He meant to sacrifice himself to use the sword. Once the cat was killed, Hanekawa would have been forced to return to her normal life, which is what Araragi thought was best for her. He thought it was best to teach her not to cheat and recur to the supernatural to solve her own problems.

He probably thought Hanekawa would have done the same for him, were their positions reversed.
Quote:
Also, I don't understand why during their confrontation he said that he hated her guts. Was it to provoke Hanekawa to attack him?
Yes, and maybe no. The part is not commented on by any thoughts, so it is open to interpretation. Araragi was ad-libbing, and his main purpose was provoking. He certainly wasn't serious when he proposed to massage Hanekawa's breasts.

On the other hand, he could have even disliked what Hanekawa was trying to do, but that was because he was far from indifferent to her. He had all sorts of feelings for Hanekawa, ranging to admiration to compassion, and even love was included, though afterward he chose to deny it. Had she just asked for his help, everything would have been well. Probably he felt disappointment for that.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote