Thread: Licensed Casshern (Live Action Movie)
View Single Post
Old 2004-10-14, 08:02   Link #55
wao
OK.

Whee! Go necromancer mode! I just decided to rake this thread to, uh, announce the most unimportant piece of information... To anyone who might actually be interested, Casshern is going to open in Singapore 25/9 if I'm not wrong.

Somehow, I think to generate hype for the movie, VideoVan is organising a Schools Community Project: Casshern Manga Art and Short Animated Video Competiiton...

If you're 13-16 you can take part in them: the Manga art competition will be held on the 18th in The CHinese High School, all you need to do apparently is to just take art tools of your choice, sit down and draw one of 6 characters presented to you from the Casshern movie, onto an A3 paper in manga style. And draw whatever else you want with it. 1st prize winner gets $300. ANd you get an additional $200 as first-prize winner to do a commercial assignment to draw two Casshern characters in manga style.

The short animated video thing is ... well, you are given a 3-minute original film segment which you must somehow edit, cut, b0rk, add special effects and dubbing and whatever, to a new version that must be 60 secs minimum but cannot exceed 90 secs. The competition starts from the 29th November 2004 and the final product must be handed in by 14th February 2005. The prizes are attractive: first prize winner gets $1000. And if you let VideoVan take over your video, as first prize winner you get an additional $500.
Thing is, you can only take part as a team of minimum 3 people, maximum 5. So in the end you still get around $330 which isn't much more than the first prize for the manga thing, but still.

I dunno about any Singaporean people on this fourm who are even interested and fall within the age range, but oh well... I suppose their purpose for doing this is to promote the movie, give it hype...
How was the movie anyway? I read through this thread and I can't find enough opinions to decide.

Ah... I'm not particularly interested in it anyway, BUT, I am taking part in the Manga competiion thing because I have never taken part in one before and while I don't like competitions I think I need the experience, even though honestly speaking I am not all that good at manga comapred to some really talented people out there... I doubt I'll win, but there's absolutely no harm trying. I won't get depressed if I lose. :P And well, if I do win then that's good, I could use $300. Perhaps it might help me later on in life, as I've always wanted to get more experience and so on in this area...

Anybody? I bet you nobody's going to reply. Who cares ^_^

Oh, by the way, I think their tactic is fairly effective because something like an "official" manga competition would draw the attention of somebody (at least me) - or at least I HOPE so because I don't want to be the only one at CHS on the 18th - and in turn draw attention to the movie. Furthermore if the manga art turns out to be good (there is incentive to draw well especially when manga competitions are so rare) it'd be good promotion for the film. Also they're targeting a rather suitable audience, or at least that is what I think.