View Single Post
Old 2012-03-19, 01:11   Link #8
Echoes

Over already. It felt like a mere gust of wind. Happiness is ephemeral, I suppose.

Visuals.

This show looks gorgeous. From the radiant character designs to Shinbou's elegant direction, this show retains the unique flare of its predecessor, and even improves upon some of it. While there are nitpicks to be had here and there, my eyes were plastered to the screen throughout each and every episode. There's always something interesting going on, always something pretty to look at, always some neat little detail you can pick up on. Visually, Nisemonogatari stands strong, and lives up to the legacy of Bakemonogatari.

Sound and Music.

Looking at the openings and endings, Bakemonogatari is a tough act to follow. It produced some of the most memorable openings in recent memory, and the ending was hauntingly beautiful. It stays with me to this day. Nisemonogatari does its best to keep up, and for the most part, it is successful. All three openings sound fantastic, and even better, they fit the atmosphere of the series perfectly. The ending, I feel, isn't quite up to snuff. It's not bad at all, but it's nowhere near as memorable or beautiful.

The actual soundtrack delivers in spades as well. The music not only accentuates the scenes it is used in, they also leave a strong impression on their own. Whenever I heard the first note of a track, I knew I was in for a good time, and I'll no doubt be listening to this soundtrack for months to come.

Lastly, the voice acting is phenomenal. Bakemonogatari was already a dream come true for me, assembling so many of my favorite seiyuu in one series. Saito Chiwa, Horie Yui, Kamiya Hiroshi, Sawashiro Miyuki and Hanazawa Kana? Pinch me. Add to that Kitamuri Eri and Sakamoto Maaya and you've got a show whose voice-acting transcends rating. It's no hyperbole to call it "sublime." Absolutely perfect.

Characters.

I'll quickly go over the returning champions, and then move on to the new contenders. Senjougahara has always been my favorite, and though her scenes are somewhat few and far in between, she's the same old girl I fell in love with years ago. The first few minutes of the first episode were incredible, and I've rewatched that part several times. Nadeko is still just as cute (which is cute indeed), but has become a lot more forward. Taking her in this direction worked well for me; though her presence was little more than a blip on the radar. Kanbaru... what can I say? Not much of substance, but I can't complain. I simply can't. Hanekawa has never been my favorite (cat alter ego notwithstanding), but her interactions with Senjougahara made for some very amusing, and unexpected, scenes. Araragi remains a solid lead, though I must admit that his lust for Karen sort of rubs me the wrong way, especially when he has arguably the most awesome girlfriend in existence.

On to the new additions, whom Nise's fate rests with.

Araragi Karen. Karen had an incredible zest for life, a great attitude and some massive backbone. She lit up the screen, and I was always anxious to see what she would say, or do, next. She can hold her ground, and she looks great. A fine character all around.

Araragi Tsukihi
. Although Tsukihi played a smaller role and a weaker plot arc, I still found her a great addition to the cast. Her exaggerated facial expressions, reactions and voice made for some great comedy. Like her sister Karen, I was always waiting to see how she'd react to the situation, and she rarely disappointed. She's platinum awesome.

Shinobu. Sakamoto Maaya really brought Shinobu to life. Every brooding monologue and every haughty comment really made her shine. She has a great personality, and has gorgeous golden hair. She can dance with the best of them when she imbibes some blood too.

General thoughts and enjoyment.

Nisemonogatari is easily the most entertaining series I've seen this year, and I suspect it will stay near the top of the list even as 2013 approaches. The dialogue, characters and visuals all come together in a wonderful collage of pure joy. Minor gripes aside, Nisemonogatari offers most of the traits that make anime a wonderful medium. It is ever-so-slightly weaker than Bakemonogatari on the whole, but there is certainly no shame in that, as Bake is one of my absolute favorite shows from the last five years.

Some of my personal favorite scenes from the series: The first five minutes of episode one (the dialogue was spellbinding), Kanbaru (every damn scene she was in, she's a goddess), Araragi and Karen's battle, the scene where Araragi runs into Karen doing a hand-walk, Shinobu and Araragi's long discussion in the bath, and last, but not least; Arargi's brief conversation with Nadeko on the phone.

Final Rating: 9 (Fantastic)

Last edited by Echoes; 2012-03-20 at 04:17.
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote