View Single Post
Old 2012-04-10, 12:00   Link #335
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Vena: oh don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing the theory, and I think it's a stretch for 13 *and* 15. But, the writers do seem to be putting stuff in to be reinterpreted later...like in episode 6, at this point, I think it's not unreasonable to claim that Mikono might've been (semi-consciously) asking *Amata* to forgive Kagura back then, too (which is far from a reasonable/likely guess in context...and not even my first guess at an eventual alternate interpretation, either).

Zessica's reactions to Kagura seem just a bit too done-up to be nothing, but if they amount to something it's currently 100% unclear what that might be.
Sure... I guess on this whole *if* thing but one of the largest differences in that correlation with Mikono/Zessica is that, since episode one, we've had the dynamic of Mikono + Kagura driving the plot. Their connection is an established thing (similarly, Kagura's speech flip with Mikono making sense in hindsight is also going on a long running and established plot line (and even has a sort of foreshadowing/allusion done with it in regards to Amata's flying boners)) whereas the *if*s with Zessica have no establishment towards Kagura at all (be it a lack of reaction from the latter or the need to really extrapolate for much of anything on the former). It's an afterthought that, like I said before, has less of an established base to be our Chekov's Gun than Shu-Shu being Sylvia. I consider such applications of Chekov's Gun, no matter how revelatory they might be in hindsight, piss poor plot construction.

Just break down this show into allocations of time:
15 Episodes: Kagura and Mikono, the former's infatuation/obsession with latter and the latter's confusion with the former, have been the gas pedal to our story.
15 Episodes: Amata and Mikono dancing around the question, and forming a relationship.
7(15, vague and based on interpretation) Episodes: Zessica building up towards Amata, falling in love, Cassandra syndrome, etc.
15 Episodes: Of everyone focusing on Mikono except for Izumo who was interested in Alicia and, at some point, Zessica as the top candidate for Eve.
But! Oh ho ho! We tricked you and the entire first half (and then some) of this show was a fake out! (Oh, and MIX is totally gay, Andy is actually an agent for Altair and simply wooing the ladies to take them back, Sazanka is straight and not a fujoshi, and all the other nonsense I can think of to make my point.) /sarcasm

This sort of set-up is a bait and switch of the worst caliber that often times indicates a poor base of concept for a story, and is usually found in shows where the plot has no way to drive itself forward except for by idiotic plot twist after plot twist after plot twist (for recent examples look to Guilty Crown...).

Call me naive, but I'd like to hope that this show would try and keep some of its integrity. They did a bang-up job (read: good) with building up Yunoha, then adding Jin, and making it believable that the isolated girl would help and befriend the lonely boy. These details were established off the bat for Jin, and quickly brought in for Yunoha early on in the show.