View Single Post
Old 2012-09-22, 05:52   Link #47
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I am not a huge spender and $1800 is enough for me for now. The problem is the 2 year contract and 5.5D workweek; this means I would have less time to trade at night and I can't go back to school. And with the rate of inflation, $1.8k isn't going to cut it beyond next year, at 5.2% since last year I need my income to be at least $2.1k by mid-2013, assuming an increase in expenditure for at least 3 people in my family excluding my sister.
A good point. On the flip side, once you're in the job, you might be able to get yourself a raise. Perhaps you could persuade the employer to give you a performance evaluation after 6 months- 1 year, at which point if you're working well you can get a raise. Tell him what you just said here, that the money is okay right now, but you're not sure if it'll be enough in a year.

Asking right out for more money probably won't get you anywhere (though if the job is in the bag, it can't really hurt), but asking for a raise contingent on performance shows to them that you're confident your performance will be worth the extra pay.

Of course, the best way to deal with all this would be to get another job offer and get the two competing against one another. That's obviously quite difficult...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote