View Single Post
Old 2008-10-29, 06:41   Link #1062
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Problem with comparing Bleach and Naruto is that both series have yet to be resolved. Sakura is still infatuated with Sasuke and while Kishimoto has toyed with the idea of romance between Naruto and Sakura, he's also made clear that from chapter one, Sakura has been fixated on one guy. This third wheel is mostly illusionary or possible, but never quite materialises from my experience. We simply don't know if Rukia's feelings for Ichigo are romantic, and that's what Kubo will play on to keep the triangle breathing. To keep a love triangle energetic in a shonen, the author has to be deliberatly equivocal and ambiguous. If there really is any romance in Bleach or Naruto, it will be towards the very end. In that sense, it might be unwise to compare two unfinished products.

I don't know about you, but I have yet to see a proper love triagle in a popular shonen manga.

Yeah, I know, I was aware of the "flaws" of that comparison but like I said I just brought it up for the sake of discussion. Both series are two of the most popular anime/manga series to date and both are still not finished yet so we're free to speculate of how they will turn out.

Personally, I would prefer if there weren't any love angles in both series. There's already too much going on in their plots that adding romance would further complicate things. I wouldn't be surprised if Bleach ended up with both Rukia and Orihime by his side with them neither being more than friends he couldn't live without. Both are essential to the story and both are important to Ichigo as a character. Orihime has always been his biggest supporter, she will die fighting by his side if she has to. And Rukia has always been and will always be the person he could trust the most and who understands him the most that without her he seems lost. I actually like their relationships as is. I hope it stays that way.