View Single Post
Old 2007-06-27, 21:08   Link #16
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

<-- I think this pretty much sums up my reaction to opinions that claim Shuffle! is good romance.

Koi Kaze deserves huge raps as a romance, IMO, particularly the way it maturely handles a taboo theme. Bokura ga Ita as well is an outstanding romance/drama. Maison Ikkoku is undoubtedly a classic, and, even though I haven't seen it myself (though it is high on my list of things to watch) I've heard some great things about Kimagure Orange Road. Kare Kano is another series that deserves the acclaim that it gets and can be a very witty romance series when it wishes, but it was hurt quite a bit by its non-ending.

Honey and Clover (both series) is great as well, even though it isn't a straight romance. And, even though I'll probably get some raised eyebrows from this comment, when School Rumble finally gets off its ass and begins to move its romance plot forward, it will be epic.

I loved Kanon, but I wouldn't really consider it a great romance. Kanon's execution of its romance component was fair, but not great. Kanon's true strengths were its drama and comedy... romance was a distance third for it there.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen is one of the greatest romances in anime history. To this day, it's one of only two anime I've seen that I consider worthy of a perfect rating.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote