View Single Post
Old 2009-03-07, 00:14   Link #21
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
This used to be true. The current version of VLC handles softsubs just fine and is in fact more resource-efficient than the other players I've tried (Mplayer, Perian, etc.). It's currently the only option on OS X 10.5 that doesn't have some crippling flaw (Mplayer in all its forms, including non-GUI, has a memory leak that eats up "Inactive RAM" and never gives it back, and Perian has to take several seconds loading MKV files up front). The image of VLC as unusable for anime is simply false at this stage.

That said, when on Windows I still use Media Player Classic with the CCCP, and on Linux, where Mplayer does not have such problems, I use that, simply for UI reasons.
I'm not saying that you are wrong, but there is a work around... force quitting mplayer so you can regain the memory. Most cases, closing the application will regain the memory (including the mplayer window app)

Also, the main reason that MKV take a long time to load in Quicktime because there is a limitation since Quicktime does not natively support MKV format, but the load time is like 10-30 seconds, which isn't that bad unless you are impatient. I still use Quicktime and Perian as my main player... simply because it's more convenient.

I still wouldn't recommend VLC as a main player for use for Anime as it still have issues... and it's still bloated... Even though it supports any file, 50 MB or let alone, 100mb is absurd amount of disk-space used for a media player.