View Single Post
Old 2012-11-29, 16:33   Link #65
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'd been putting Sakurasou off because of this episode, and the fact that there's probably no anime trope I'm more tired of than the little sister who's a brocon and screams "Onii-chan!" constantly.

And yet... I rather enjoyed this episode.

The reason is that I'm pretty confident that this episode is to the Ore no Imoutos of the world what Scary Movie is to serious horror films.

In other words, this was so over-the-top that I really have to think it's lampooning these anime tropes moreso than playing them straight. And taken that way, I found it very funny and gratifying. Simply put, this episode did a great job of poking fun at the little sister brocon archetype.

It's possible that I'm wrong here, of course, but I honestly doubt it. This is the first character I've seen come virtually out of nowhere, to act like a total scenery-chewing caricature, since I watched Excalibur in Soul Eater. And he was definitely a joke character.

So yeah, I think the only scenes in this episode with possible lasting significance are the cuter Sorata/Nanami ones. And those were genuinely very nice and promising.

8/10 overall (but only because I'm taking this episode as 90% lampoon, and 10% possible serious romance development between Sorata and Nanami).