View Single Post
Old 2013-01-11, 13:59   Link #39
Warm Mist

SHAFT and ufotable as examples of animation?
That is so wrong, neither of them are particularly strong animation-wise, even though ufotable has some Takeuchi and SHAFT has some Imamura and GenAbe. They're more defendible if we're talking about overall visuals, but as far as TV animation goes, I don't think anyone can compete with Kyoani and perhaps BONES (when they actually employ some talent).

About the filming vs. computerized lineart and colours, I don't understand why so many people prefer the analogical look of the old times. To me those are nostalgia goggles at full force, since there's so much more potential in digital animation, and it is much more efficient for the workforce as well.
What many say is interesting and lively, I see as dated. It's probably a perception dissonance that can't be saved anyway; but actual animation (as in, the amount of time when there is something moving in the episode) is higher than what it was in early 2000s and 90s TV shows. Whether or not the animation being showcased is better doesn't depend on the era but simply on the artist that is working.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote