View Single Post
Old 2013-03-24, 10:44   Link #200
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
It's not inevitable if there's an evolutionary dynamic rather than a revolutionary one to changing the system.
You don't have an "evolutionary dynamic" away from a dictatorship. Sybil is essentially a dictatorship. It is essentially a totalitarian oligarchy. You either bring down a dictatorship, or you don't.

We're not talking about corrupt politicians that you can simply vote out of power and replace with better and/or more forward-thinking leadership. Or specific bad policies that you can argue against, and win support for changing. We're talking about a ruling council of 250 disembodied brains. You either remove them from power, or you don't.

Honestly, to me, it's like you and Kacrice67 are talking about a bad government with bad policies in a democratic country. Of course the slow game is best then. That's one of the most wonderful things about a democracies. At regular 4 or 5 year intervals, you can "throw the bums out" without needing to do anything particularly chaotic or violent to achieve it.

Quote:
I just don't understand what's so wrong with letting Akane and characters of similar stature to work their magic and give time for things to change gradually.
What magic do you see coming out of this final episode?

Quote:
I guess what I really admire about characters like Akane is that they see and believe in change that doesn't involve a bloody conflict, whereas you don't seem to believe that's possible at all.
Such non-violent/non-chaotic change is of course possible... in some societal contexts. Not in all. In some cases, you have a dictator with a tight hold on power, and that dictator does not want to relinquish his power even in the slightest. So what do you do? You can't gradually wean the people off of the dictator, as the dictator himself doesn't allow that to be an option.

I don't like saying it, but there really are some societal situations where it's either coup d'état or bust. The ruling regime gives you no other option. And frankly, that's the impression I get with Sibyl.

Quote:
I also interpreted it this way, but I believe there are enough signs without it to believe the only basis for people to comprehend the concept of justice under Sibyl is their arbitrarily assigned Psycho-Pass numbers. They took down those criminals because they wanted to protect their beloved Sibyl.
No they didn't. They took down those criminals to protect themselves. I think you greatly overstate how emotionally attached these people are to Sibyl.

Quote:
This is why I put an emphasis on people's relationship with Sibyl in my rablings. Granted, the show could have done a better job at portraying Sibyl as a God-like entity.
Sibyl isn't typically portrayed as a God-like entity because most Japanese people in Psycho-Pass don't see it as downright God-like. Here is where I think you are greatly overestimating what the Japanese people think of Sibyl.

Many think of Sibyl has a nice AI that makes their lives easier. That's it. Some others think of Sibyl in a decidedly negative way. This show has had plenty of Sibyl critics in its full character cast.

Quote:
That factory didn't look very self-sustaining, to be honest. Besides, you need people to understand its inner workings after Sibyl collapses. One way is to bring experts out of their hiding, the other is to import them from overseas.
Good luck doing that while Sybil is calling the shots. As for experts in hiding, they'll go right back into hiding when a couple of them get labeled as latent criminals and sent to white padded cells.

Quote:
What you don't want is to just leave it operating under the assumption nothing can ever happen to it. What if another Makishima tries to blow it up again?
This is a problem even if Sybil stays in control. If Makshima had just two other men backing him up in attacking the Hyper-Oats factory, that's likely enough to bring the whole thing crashing down.

Quote:

Right, but in a society devoid of bureaucrats after Sibyl's lights get turned off?
Sibyl Japan already has bureaucrats. What makes you think Sybil micromanages every last job? Sybil may play a role in the screening process for bureaucrats, but that's all. Recall the other job positions that were available to Akane when she chose to become an Inspector. Those job positions clearly point to the existence of bureaucrats.

Quote:
Some of us have been doing that, I just don't think you're reading our posts too closely. Two points why it fails: you write off manufacturing, food production, the economy, educational system as a logistic problem, when in actuality Sibyl Japan would need substantial man power to replacing their omnipotent God.
I don't see any evidence of this.

The hyper-oats factory is working fine without any man power at all.

Taking down Sybil isn't going to put the teachers of Japan all out of jobs. If you take down Sybil, it's not like all those teachers at, say, Oryo's all-girls school are just going to up and quit.

You act like Sybil themselves are the teachers, the engineers, the building constructors, and the factory workers of Sibyl Japan. No, they're not. Sibyl just screens them and has Japan in its totalitarian grip.

Quote:
My solution was quite simpler, actually: replace the current brains with less psychopathic ones.
And if Sybil says "No"? Then what?

Not to mention that plan is very risky even if Sybil says "yes". What if Akane and Saiga's brains get overwhelmed by the 250 brains that are already there? And you know, most people are pretty attached to their bodies. I honestly think very, very few people would voluntarily sign up to be part of the Sibyl Collective. I know I wouldn't.