View Single Post
Old 2013-10-01, 22:48   Link #285
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Well this was just dumb but if your going to dump someone that seem like the way to do it

5/10 doing all of that just to get a girl back is just stupid
It's a heart vs. mind sort of thing.

Intellectually, Haruto knows that Asuka is a great girlfriend, at least in all the practical ways. She's deeply in love with him, she expresses that clearly, she gives him his space, she's very understanding and supportive, she's totally faithful, her and him do a good job planning things together, and Asuka's very cheerful and upbeat about their time together.

There is absolutely nothing that Haruto can raise against Asuka. There's not the slightest pretext he can use to try to rationalize his decision to break up with her. He knows she's a great girlfriend and that many guys would love to be in the sort of relationship he has with Asuka. That's why it was so brutally hard for Haruto to break up with her.

"My heart belongs to Eba" is the only reason Haruto can give. That's it. That is 100% it.

This is another romance conflict in anime that's about the heart and passion and maybe even "the red string of fate" trumping the mind. It's one of the more powerful ones of it's type, because of how Asuka is presented.

Part of me wonders how true to life this romantic theme is. But in any event, Kimi no Iru Machi presented it compellingly, imo. It pulled no punches.

I have to say, though, that Haruto's actions are nowhere near as bad as those of a certain someone in School Days. Haruto didn't sleep around with every girl he set his eyes on. In fact, this anime seemed to imply that even him and Asuka never actually had sex together. If that implication is correct, then Haruto deserves credit for at least ending things with Asuka before it got any more serious than it already was.

A better comparison for Haruto is True Tears' Shinichiro.

I can certainly understand people disliking Haruto, but we shouldn't act like he's a shallow womanizer. If anything, he's the opposite - An one-woman man that unfortunately took a very messy route to ending up with the one woman in question.