View Single Post
Old 2010-06-26, 06:31   Link #198
Antiscian

A decent finale, I guess - the highlight of this series will always be the Yui episode to me.
The heart transplant thing was a pretty good explanation, and what I particularly liked was the final scene before the credits; Otonashi, portrayed so far as the hero and saviour of all the SSS, gives in to weakness, struggles, and we realise that he's just a human as well.
Similar to Yuri in a way, in that when his job is done he finally lets his private feelings take over his duties.
The message I got from it, especially considering Otonashi's hypocrisy in wanting Kanade to stay for his own slightly selfish reasons, was that this isn't a story about Otonashi teaching morals or being a role model or anything like that. He was just a man who tried doing what he could, and this is a story about everything that came from that.

I'd actually say it's slightly Shakespearian in a way, in light of all the zigzagging that the plot undergoes. The story takes a back-seat; the show is all about its characters, and people in general, and the conclusions and goals they decide on, whether they're right or wrong.

Though yeah, sending away all the supporting leads just like that was a bit of a cop-out.