View Single Post
Old 2011-05-25, 07:16   Link #42
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I was meaning to watch Time of Eve so I guess I will now, though it seems it's only 6x15 minutes .. too short.
Watch the feature-movie version then. Some scenes were added to flesh out the story. I do slightly prefer the original six-part series though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
House of Five Leaves .. I tried watching this when it aired, but I found it boring. The art style didn't bother me though .. I only watched the first episode, so does this actually pick up at some point and we get to the action part? (If there is such in the first place..)
It's a character-driven drama. The strength of the show lies in its nuances so, if that's not your cup of tea, then it probably isn't the series for you.

============

(1)
Since you enjoyed Seirei no Moribito, check out Kemono no Souja Erin (The Beast Player Erin)
Quote:
Erin is the 10-year-old daughter of Soyon, a vet who takes care of the Grand Duke's greatest military asset, the touda, giant lizard mounts. However, Soyon is a member of an exiled tribe, and was therefore treated like an outcast in the village, along with her daughter. Still a child, Erin does not notice the prejudice, but a series of events would eventually put her face-to-face with harsh realities.
The 50-part series progresses at a steady pace, following Erin's story as she grows up into a woman fated to play a historic role. It's fair to say, though, that if you're not hooked the end of Ep7, then this is not the show for you.

(2)
If you're looking for a more mainstream, action-driven show, you might want to take a look at Bounen no Xamdou (Xam'd: Lost Memories)
Quote:
Sentan Island exists in a state of dreamlike tranquility, a small island cut off from the war between the Northern Government and the Southern Continent Free Zone. One day the island's tranquility is shattered and Akiyuki, along with his best friends Haru and Furuichi, barely escaped from an explosion in a school bus. The blast produces a mysterious light that enters Akiyuki's arm, transforming into a creature called Xam'd.
No, despite appearances, this is not a mecha-based show like Gundam. Many parts of the story and several character designs draw heavily from Studio Ghibli's Nausicaa. It wasn't executed very effectively but, still, this Bones ONA had its fans during its airing in 2008.

(3)
Among the titles that others here have suggested, I'd strongly second Claymore and Black Lagoon for action; Planetes for sci-fi, political drama; and Natsume Yuujinchou for "slice of life" (I loathe this misleading, otaku-invented term).

(4)
One last suggestion, purely for its cute comedy value: Moyashimon.
Quote:
Sawaki Tadayasu, the son of a yeast-making family out in the boondocks, is now a freshmen at a Tokyo agriculture university. He has a unique ability to see microbes with his naked eyes. Together with his childhood friend, Kei, he begins a new and carefree life as a student.