View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 22:33   Link #67
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
We are talking about masterpieces. You are talking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic

They are different. We don't need 10 years to recognize an exceptionally crafted work.
Semantics. We don't need to agree. You are welcome to your own definition of a masterpiece, which, in my opinion, is necessarily a "classic", since it does set the benchmark by which all later artists are measured.

Also, one small point about "accident" in the process of creation. Art is not a science. I can't create "art" on demand based on a standard template. I know the techniques of good writing. I have my command of the language to inform me, and my own sense of quality to guide my composition. But is that enough to make me an artist? I don't feel so. Sometimes, I know the words to use, but they just can't seem to come out right, no matter how I try. On other times, the sentences simply flow.

I don't know how it works. It's serendipity. It's the joy of discovery. Often, it really is no more than accidental. That's just the way it is.