View Single Post
Old 2009-03-27, 16:17   Link #373
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The translators aren't necessarily experienced writers, so they're just going for "literal" (which often means that subtlety or poetic metaphor gets trampled). I've just gotten a copy of the PROFESSIONALLY translated first volume of SHnY.... well, the Baka-tsuki people should pat themselves on the back because the PROFESSIONAL volume 1 SHnY reads pretty rough as well.
All I can say is that literal translations of Japanese writing work a lot better in Chinese than in English. I agree that Baka-Tsuki are doing an awesome job; it's not their fault Japanese and English writing styles are significantly different.

[Edit] Didn't want to make a new post just for this so I'm writing it here...
"Can someone tell me how to spoil?" ... That has got to be the funniest thing I've read today

[Edit 2] Hmm, I guess Sephiroth was asking about the proper way to go about spoiling something, i.e. using spoiler tags (it's that "warning icon" in the formatting bar that moves aside to reveal a face) and posting in the correct threads. However, that question in isolation is really quite hilarious.

Last edited by Yukinokesshou; 2009-03-27 at 16:28.