View Single Post
Old 2009-10-08, 13:20   Link #35
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
On another note, if Disappearance was determined to be a movie long ago, it explains two things:
1. Why Haruhi was entirely reaired with extra episodes, in order to make sure as many people as possible know the Haruhi backstory before Disappearance starts. Hell, even Endless Eight offers some official explanation for the movie's plot.
2. Why Newtype claimed that Haruhi season 2 was rebooted/cancelled; it could have been true, if the decision to make a movie means things have to be shuffled around.

We can't know the facts unless they tell us, so this is just speculation.
You're right that we can't know, but this fits all the evidence. It may very well have been that they were planning on doing a second season in the style of the first, with Disappearance as the centerpiece. But then, a decision was made to make Disappearance into a movie. In order to set the stage for the movie, and to keep the story fresh in people's minds, they came up with the idea of the re-airing. Note that, at the same time, they announced a staffing change. It may very well be (we'll see), that the director of the first season was assigned to work on the movie, while they appointed a new director to work on the TV series that would accompany the re-launch. Also of note, possibly, is the way that they cut the 5-episode closing arc of the re-airing as if it were just one giant movie split into arbitrary episodes. Perhaps, from a production perspective, they worked on it in a similar way as a sort of experiment/training ground -- who knows...

Anyway, it's fun to speculate, but I think we can probably agree that this announcement helps bring some sense and logic to the re-airing on a whole (specific details about how they did it aside).

Edit: You know, now that I think about it, let's say they had already planned/booked for a new 14 episode season under the premise that Disappearance would be included as a 6-episode arc. And then someone from on high said "you know what, we're going to make Disappearance a movie instead". Now all of a sudden they have 6 episode slots to fill that have to be chronologically prior to the movie (which is going to be the "big reveal" at the end of the re-broadcast). What to do to fill the time? Hence... Of course there are some obvious problems with that theory (like, they could probably have just shortened the broadcast run, unless it was already set in stone I guess...) but as I said, it's fun to speculate.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-10-08 at 13:34.