View Single Post
Old 2010-05-12, 12:23   Link #1042
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Have you read the prequel novels and manga? If you haven't, that maybe the problem.
The thing is.. he shouldn't HAVE to. Anime should be able to stand on its own as a story-telling medium. Also, anime series pretty much serve as advertisement for the merchandise. It expands and extends the potential audience for the source material ... so if the anime leaves you empty you aren't going to buy the merchandise.

On a separate note, this whole thread is subjective opinion - a place where people can scratch their heads at what others like. Everyone should try to be civil about it though and avoid the "series X is crap and you're stupid/lame/gay if you like it" that the insecure resort to.

I've watched Angel Beats for six episodes and am still saying "so what?" at the end of each episode. I think I just roll my eyes at the basic premise and the *feeling* that it is launching on top of 'haruhi memes' to capitalize on those motifs. That doesn't mean it doesn't have merit.. just that it doesn't push MY buttons.