View Single Post
Old 2012-06-24, 05:19   Link #115
sbg711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Actually from what I heard, it was Syria who apologized.
As far as I know the plane was identified as Turkish only after it was downed, hence the apology. However, I've also read controversy about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
And also, that Russia and NATO are coming into terms with the inevitable and making plans so as to allow Assad to leave peacefully and avoid turning his country into Somalia.
That's very funny. I've been hearing that since the beginning of the conflict. It is not in Russia's interests to allow Assad to leave or to be killed, and it is not in NATO's interests for Assad to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
2. Russia was selling arms to Syria.
3. Russia is not getting back their money.
Well, Russia has been selling arms to Syria on credit for quite a while now, it's not like anything changed there with the installation of an economical blockade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
4. US was giving away arms to the Syrian rebels without getting any money or oil deal back.
It's geopolitical. The final target is Iran. Afghan troops are being relocated to Kuwait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Yeah. The big deal is that Assad's army is falling apart. It's not that he is being crushed by strong enemies, it's that he no longer holds enough power to rule what he has left.
If Assad's military would be prone to desertion, it would have done so long ago. Yet he's standing firm for over a year now. A stolen airplane and several reports of those defecting is but a needle in a haystack.

sbg711 is offline   Reply With Quote