View Single Post
Old 2010-03-26, 04:37   Link #63
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post

Yeah the characters weren't that great. Haruhi was unbearable. Koizumi was Blandy McBland the Blandest man in Blandland. Nagato was okay. In fact I actually kind of liked her. Mikuru, not so much. Yeah I can understand why she was so weak, but eh...So to be honest, the only character I actually liked was Kyon. But the group had none of the cohesiveness of an actual gang of friends like in Toradora! for example. Koizumi for example, barely interacted with Haruhi at all.
Yea, I would say Mikuru and Itsuki aren't particularly interesting. They seem to be there to cater to the fetishes lol. The same thing could be said about Yuki, but at least she does stuff. Though Kyon is a good character because he acts and behaves like an actual person amidst a bunch of stereotypes which I think was intentional. Haruhi is supposed to be unbearable too-- you aren't supposed to like what she does. This actually does build up to something.

I think the main draw to the series is Kyon. He is a mostly sensible person trapped in what seems to be a bad fanfiction created by a psychotic possibly omnipotent being.

When it comes to the series as a whole I don't find it extremely deep but it is clever in some places and the episodes in the 2006 and 2009 airings do interconnect together pretty well. As a whole the series I think shines, but if I were to name specific moments it'd be the last few episodes of season 1.

Mostly I enjoy how it's a work of fiction making fun of itself really. It plays around a lot, but ultimately there's just so much you can play with and when it comes down to the actual plot, the impact is just not as strong . Ultimately, I think I just couldn't get emotionally attached to the series or the characters and that stops it just short of reaching my favorites list (like that really matters )

Quote:
No, I haven't watched season 2 yet. Is it actually any better?
In my strong opinion, season 2 is inferior to season 1 by a large margin. It doesn't mean it's bad but if you didn't like the first season, I cannot recommend it to you. A big part of season 2 requires you to have a large amount of emotional attachment to one of the characters to properly enjoy it, but as I've said above, the show just didn't get enough for me to do that. If you don't love them, you will quickly get bored. It's still funny though.

The only thing good I can really say about 2009 Haruhi is that there is some actual character development at the end, and in a way that one part is superior to the 2006 airing. I actually gave a damn for a little bit.

You may want to gloss over it to get some context for the movie. Honestly, the 2009 airing is one big commercial for the movie.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-03-26 at 04:50.