View Single Post
Old 2013-09-08, 15:24   Link #42
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

This is moved from the railgun s episode 20 discussion thread. Let me clarify/expand on what Ilidsor/AdmirerofSatenRuiko are saying (even though I may be wrong).

The Sisters Arc was so popular that Mikoto became a well-liked character. So as a result they wanted to spin-off of Kuroko, but last minute changed it to one of Misaka. This became the railgun franchise. After some time, the show became very different from how it was originally envisioned as seen in the first season, but then it actually turned out that the author Kamachi considered the side-story to be of equal importance as the main story. At this point in time, the second season of Railgun talked about the sisters, the original reason "railgun" was conceived as a manga in the first place.

I will argue however that since I'm not positive the sisters arc existed when Railgun was originally adapted for its first season, it might not be the reason the anime exists for railgun, just the manga. So it can be argued that it isn't absolutely essential to the anime, but that if the anime wants to be a consistent adaptation to the manga then it should also include the sisters arc.

The problem arises from anime-only-viewers who want a continuation of themes from the first season and manga readers who want to have an anime of the series that they are reading. When creating the anime, J.C. staff has to cater to both of these groups because in the end, the anime is supposed to adapt the manga. However, all anime clearly have the interpretation of the directors inputted into them in at least some minor way so that the anime has its own original flavor. That's what is happening here.

With season one of the anime, the anime attracted a lot of fans that enjoyed the Director's way of interpreting the material in order to make the series more popular.

However, now the series has 2 completely different aspects and therefore relies on 2 different cours per season to compromise this problem.

In this case, it becomes unclear which way the series should be adapted, if it should actually rather be adapted one way over the other.

IMO, many will prefer one way over the other, but I think that this problem is clearly unresolveable so people are just going to keep on fighting about it which is why this argument isn't really productive at this point at all.

If railgun changes, its popularity will drop. If railgun does not change, it does not adapt the original material like it was supposed to. This makes the entire scenario very confusing.

And both groups in their opinions are technically in the right so this becomes a confusing problem.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote