View Single Post
Old 2011-01-03, 20:08   Link #206
Will Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysjd89 View Post
I should have said what I meant more clearly:

The fact that people can come up with concise answers, proves he at least had a basic idea of his solution. If he was just saying red with no idea what the solution actually was, it'd be a lot less likely that people would come up with an answer that can actually fit with all the red text.

I believe we had a debate before, and we used a puzzle comparison. To use that comparison again: We once again have a puzzle that is missing 20 or 30 pieces. The red text, in this example, are the missing pieces, but the pictures on the front are taken off. If people couldn't fit the missing pieces in, then it would be natural to assume that the pieces are part of a different puzzle and it isn't solvable and the person who gave you the missing pieces doesn't actually know where those pieces came from. But if the puzzle is solved, then it means, obviously, it is solvable, and that the person who gave the puzzle pieces must have known those pieces came from this puzzle.
Indeed we had this very same debate before, and I said that I would wait for the game to be concluded until I decided whether the pieces missing were important or not.

What I think of the series now is that it isn't missing just 20 or 30 pieces, but at least 50 of them. You are right in that it's hard for people to fit in those missing pieces if the puzzle does not have a defined final form.

However, say that the puzzle is more incomplete than complete. In that case, one can fit any solution in there. In fact, that person would be doing the writer's work for him. That's what I think Umineko is in the end.

Quote:
But, the thing is, as I said above, there are many people who came up with how 2+2=5.

However, you might be right that he didn't have a complete solution, but I think he had more then just a bare basic idea, at least. This is because, the more red that is given, the harder it becomes to, by chance, get an answer, even with a bare basic idea, eventually there would end up being some kind of impossible murder.

Let's say I were to make any random closed room, with no idea what the solution is. At first, it would be easy. There are several possible ways to get around it no matter what red I say. So I might say things like The door is locked and That is the only key to this room.

But, the more red I use, the less likely it'll be that there will be an actual solution.
Many people came up with how 2+2=5. But what if Ryuukishi wasn't one of those people?

I think that we'll never know how much he had planned in advance and how much he had no answer to.

I think he had a very general idea for them. For example, Eva's locked room in the first game. The solution is that "it wasn't locked" basically. A particularly insane fan might argue that the culprit could have used a screwdriver to take apart the door without ever damaging it or "opening" it.

That's a bad example, but you see what I mean. I think he had basic "hows" ready, but never really had a "who," as he had the excuse of "it's fiction" ready in case one of his fans couldn't come up with a good enough who.

I see what you mean though. Me calling his bluff means that I think he had some serious guts to write a story like that. But I personally think he did it, because he knew full well(from Higurashi) that his fanbase would allow that little gambit to succeed.
Will Wright is offline   Reply With Quote