View Single Post
Old 2008-03-11, 07:59   Link #1401
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NejinOniwa View Post
Well, it's true that it's hard on you to suddenly switch between the two, but in my edits I've tried using the same style as Baka-Tsuki, since I just think it's both too much to rewrite otherwise, as well as unnecessary editing that might not even come out well at all - while I'm quite used to writing in long paragraphs with my other works, I feel that for this writing style it works better with the original way...
I'm going for a mix. I can retain most of the paragraph-style prose but I've edited most of the dialogue to flow better to western eyes. It's difficult but not impossible. It may seem like a lot to edit, though, but I assure you that is a small price to pay for readability.

A lot of Kyon's dialogue is, imho, timing... and the best way to replicate that is proper paragraphing and spacing. We need to keep that paragraph prose.

Baka-Tsuki sticks to the prose because, and I have had this quoted at me, Baka-Tsuki aims to be accurate, not readable. As an entirely separate fan-project, I believe that we're aiming to be readable, not accurate. (Accuracy is, of course, encouraged.)

I'll do the relevant editjobs when Kaisos gets on the case. This will get a lot harder once we break out of chapter three... I don't have preprepared stuff I can compare Kaisos's stuff to, I'll be working on semi-originality again. (Joy!)

I agree with Dkellis's stuff about Kyonko's reception to Yuuki, Mitsuru, Asakura and Haruki. I also think it's wonderful that a good lot of the writers/editors here appear to be Tropers. THIS WILL HELP. It also means I may be able to indulge my metafiction habit.

Now, in regards to the Day of Sagittarius (assuming we're going with the space battle idea, which seems to be getting the best reception...), I'm still a little undecided about Kyonko's gaming expertise. I do want her at the least to be knowlegable enough to be snarky, and I like the idea of her being a quick learner. Regards Dkellis's LEEEERRRROOYYYY JEEEENKINNNNS comment, remember that Kyon originally did manage to restrain Haruhi for most of the original battle, and when he didn't, Yuki had by that point managed to pwn the enemy hackers. I reckon it would be fine for Kyonko to be a quick learner, and play it out like that... assuming, of course, that nobody wants to make any other major changes to the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeijinOniwa
Well, it's true that short hair-pull hurts a LOT. However in my experience long hair isn't as bad (and I'm pretty sure I can judge that fairly, since I have a ponytail the length of Kyon-ko's of my own), and with a ponytail it's even less - from what I know, just pulling a few hairs hurts FUCKSHIT BAD, while many is actually possible to stand for a short while. Plus it's not like he'd pull her by it for itself - she's walking along quite much (wisely enough) as well. Plus, shock and exhaustion prevents her from giving much of a ZOMFS JERK reaction - besides, doesn't she pretty much think of him like that already, anyway?
Mmmm. I seem to remember that short hair hurts more, long hair hurts less. But that was literally years ago, so it's nice to get confirmation.

Also, convert whatever the heck you want. Something with Fang-tan would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkellis
I mean, I've never quite figured out why Kyon didn't just say "no way", unless either he has no objections to the concept of Girls Treating Guys Like Dirt, or he just didn't think about it. (Or maybe he's just thinking about Haruhi's looks rather than her personality.)
I was under the impression it was because Kyon, whatever he might narrate to himself, finds Haruhi interesting. He's always been in serious denial about Haruhi, this is just on a slightly more minor scale.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote