View Single Post
Old 2009-07-05, 03:05   Link #66
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Actually wasn't it done so that the kidnapping wouldn't happen in front of Haruhi? Because who knows what Haruhi would do if someone stole her favorate plaything from in front of her?
Either way, it was Kyon's choice to continue with the time loop; he was the one who sent Mikuru back in time, after all.

The fact is, the kidnapping was happening. It was something pre-determined, the question is what Adult Mikuru would do about it.

I still fail to see why that would imply Adult Mikuru is manipulating anyone. Adult Mikuru had no choice; she doesn't have the kind of freedom Kyon and Haruhi had in making their own destiny. Mikuru could only protect her own past. Manipulation assumes Mikuru had any SAY in the matter.

Which brings up my old-school theory, that the TRUE villains are trying to manipulate the past for real, by attempting to destroy the creation of the time machine.
And to do that, they would need to do more than just running over a schoolboy with a van; they would have to terminate ground-zero of the origin of time travel theory, of Haruhi herself.

THAT's manipulation, of the highest degree.