View Single Post
Old 2006-07-19, 16:21   Link #98
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
*snip*
I'd save up a bit more and go with one of the new conroes. The performance increase over a pentium series will be very signifigant. It's not like your system is dying, right?. Plus, you'll be able to get a much better system. You might even want to wait to see how amd will answer the conroes, but that won't be until next year. They won't even have their first 65nm processors out until december, I believe. Unless the lag you're talking about is completely intolerable, there's no need to rush.

If you do upgrade now, between the two processors you picked, go with the 805. It's insanely overclockable. Not to mention the dual core will help a lot in multi tasking, though the performance boost you'll see on individual programs will be less, as many don't take advantage of dual cores. You don't need the 64 bit version of windows to see any benefits though. Besides, both those processors have 64 bit support.

As for xp64, I don't think it deserves the bad rep it has. Microsoft has a trial version, good for 120 days, so you can see for yourself.