View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 17:23   Link #140
Snuffle
likes cute things

Wow Klash, you're in high gear lately, it's hard for me to say anything since you're saying what I wanted to say better than I could, and more. Anyway, my input on some of those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Some terms are just missing that make the treatment from some persons quite differently. For instance, Kengo's behaviour in the anime basically doesn't have any interaction with Haruka one bit (in fact, Kengo got quite the short end of a stick in general), whereas he made clear back in the VN that Haruka is borderline a pest (he got quite pissed off by that bucket prank).
I noticed how Kengo treated Haruka right away, especially with the bucket incident. In general, Kengo does NOT want to to interact with Haruka, this is either very vague or missing in the anime. It not only subtracts from Kengo's character development, it also causes Haruka's character to not look as bothersome. That brings me back to the bucket incident. Leaving the anime not showing the only time Kengo is wearing the school uniform and his displeasure of wearing it aside, Kengo in the anime does not even express a bit of anger towards Haruka's prank. After accusing Masato that he was the one that did it, his anger just vanishes... It was the perfect chance to show how much trouble Haruka is causing for other people, but the anime just decided to display it only as a comedy skit. (All this happens in episode 7 for anyone that wants to check)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
But the real problem with Haruka is her own foreshadowing as in her utter lack of reactions when anything close to her twin problem shows up. In fact, the anime makes it like she is in the receiving end and hated Kanata only starting from the latest episode, whereas she has shown some scorn/hatred way before that initially.
The problem I have with Haruka's introduction episode where Kanata first shows up is that it's never shown how Haruka dislikes Kanata. In the VN we get a facial expression (and some words IIRC) that shows Haruka just DOES NOT like Kanata. I felt this was some important foreshadowing on Haruka's and Kanata's relationship. But instead, the anime gives Haruka a sullen expression. Not only that, it appeared to me that Haruka actually complemented Kanata... what? Ok... I won't dig into that... (episode 7, 14:40~14:50)

---------------
I felt Mio's arc was fairly well done, but it's too bad we didn't get to see Riki and Mio go to the book store. I felt having that scene would make more sense as to why Mio would want to come back, she would have a friend that was willing to spend time with her. However, Haruka's arc felt thrown in my face so harshly, I didn't feel I was eased into the story. It's more like "this is Haruka's story, let's jump into it." This is where the issue of balanced pacing comes in. There wasn't enough build up for me to feel like ep.16 should have the pacing that it did. AT LEAST, they could've made Kanata say something about Haruka during the sleep over event, that would've helped in easing me into the upcoming character story.

BTW, I may not be remembering correctly... In the game, did Kanata even come off as a sarcastic person before entering Haruka's arc? I know she was extremely sarcastic during Haruka's route, but I'm not remember how she was during the common route.