View Single Post
Old 2008-11-28, 09:34   Link #1124
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I hugely enjoyed Baz Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet. If the Bard were alive today, I'd fully expect him to make a movie like that.
That crossed my mind as i was writing my reply, in reference to using old source material and placing it in a modern context. The thing with that movie was that the language was kept the same. The modern context with the guns and the helicopters and the swimming pool scene and the rest help to set the scene and give modern references so people had some idea of what was going on, since the language itself is kinda hard to get around.

But the bible linguistically has been updated and translated and simplified and jazzed, so it's not the language itself that we have issues with now. If someone really wants a simple, illustrated guide, they can have it, but that magazine is just that:
A maagzine with references from the bible.
well i can only go as far as what the bbc have said, but i don't particulary see it as anything innovative except maybe in design.

Btw, you've re arranged some of my sentences and then answered each section as a group, which has taken it out of context to how i arranged and linked it all when i composed that.
Please take care of how you answer. The muslim example was linked to how attitudes of christianity have changed, but it was very similar in terms of how sensitive people were... only hundreds of years ago perhaps.
we get south park, where jesus is fighting santa and we can take it with a pinch of salt. And then we get a comic strip, which almost causes riots, since people see it as an 'insult'
Different religions, yes, but i doubt within muslim societies, there's much room for parody concerning islam, I'd be curious to see a 'modified' magazine version of the Qu’uran for those who aren't muslim, just to get a feel for the other religion and perhaps understand it better.
Somehow, i don't see it happening anytime soon though...

As for the public places sentence i put, that was related to the article, where the creator says he'd like to see this in cafes and shops, but religious material is still religious material (unless totally obsecure); many may feel reluntant to distrubute it.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote