View Single Post
Old 2010-08-08, 09:47   Link #44
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Eh, am I the only one who wasn't all that impressed by the trap? I guess I'm dangerously saturated and jaded, but *this* trap seems so normal and boring to me.

The situation itself (+ the dismissive girls) was a lot more fun than the character.

Genderbenders are a lot more fun when they are handled with playful abandon like with our beloved Aikawa, with hilariously complicated twists like in this happily fluffy shoujo manga, or with a distinctly even tone as in this promising manga. In short, distinctions, twists, and the "trap" thing being an addition to the character rather than the other way around.

The trap here feels so low-key and an afterthought in comparison. Which may have been the author's intention of course since it seems he's enjoying satirizing his way through otaku subculture stuff.
Holy Crap you managed to name most of my favorite trap or guess in NG Life & Ame Nochi it's outright gender bending, mangas.
Can't really compare Yukimura to Aikawa cause Aikawa is in a league of Aikawa's own(much like Hidehoshi is)
Yukimura's little problem is there wasn't quite any impact with his character, yea sure enough didn't see it coming but even then there really isn't quite a stand out trait with him(reason being I still very much prefer main 3)

p.s I love NG Life, it's one of my favorite takes on the whole gender bending or "trap" thing plus it's very very funny as well. I'm actually int he process of tracking down the manga.
Ame Nochi Hare is another very interesting take on it as well(which I thought was supposed to be a josei but seems it's tagged as shoujo now) the plus side here is I very much like the art.