Thread: Licensed CLANNAD the Movie
View Single Post
Old 2010-12-12, 20:48   Link #413
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
Nagisa's character in the movie wasn't bland at all. She made a profound impact on everyone she met and basically carried the entire movie. Her drive and determination were both infectious and adorable, which compelled everyone around her to help her achieve her goals, and compelled me to keep watching (lol).
Ironically enough, this is exactly what I think about Nagisa in the TV series and not the movie. Although the impact in the TV series was more of a combination between Tomoya and Nagisa. Like I've said before, the movie isn't necessarily bad but rather intrinsically different from it's TV counterpart. Some will enjoy the movie while others won't (such as myself,) but naturally the movie had to take some liberties considering how much content had to be condensed into an hour and a half.

Character-wise, the movie had it's own differences but Mai Nakahara didn't help any with her sub-par acting (in which I believe she improved on quite a bit in the TV series.) I can agree with Nagisa (I.e. - TV Series) being bland up to the end of the first season but the second season had such amazing subtle development. It might not have been substantial but it was certainly an impressive growth in character.

Aside from just the characters though, there were plenty of other areas where I felt the TV series did a much better job. Music and music placement is one that comes to mind right away and the comedy as well. Even so I have to admit the movie did do it's best with pacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
I'd watch the movie again just as a reminder of how awesome she is. A series rewatch would be a lot harder for me to stomach.
It's funny that you mention this. Actually Nagisa isn't all that different in the movie than she is in the TV series. The real difference lies in how her development was spread out in the second season of the TV series (subtlety) in contrast with her development from the movie (direct.)

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote