Thread: Licensed K (Anime project)
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-05, 11:54   Link #410
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
The entire sequence before the OP was a monster information dump. Yes, it was god-tier animation, but the actions and interactions were anything but random. It built most of the world and the conflict that's obviously on the table. The "Why" is what we'll find out later.

They did spend a while, after the OP, taking their time. But with that level of animation, they were in no hurry. That showing off probably is going to net them a whole lot of BluRay sales. Still, it sets a contrast between the combat scenes and the idyllic school life.

As I've recently started rewatching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, it's pretty noticeable that it used a similar opening episode. GITS:SAC had more talking, but very little had much to do with building the world. You figured that out by the interactions and the puzzle they were solving. That's very much what they were up to here.

This doesn't seem like an anime that'll give up its secrets easily, but it's also not a mystery series. They've given the audience a lot to look at and take in, so there was no lack of world and plot information given. It just wasn't written at you, since this isn't a Manga or Light Novel adaptation.
I am not saying that it was random, rather that it lacked substance, which in itself is not negative, not every anime should be heavy on the dialogue side; since as you also wrote, it's not a novel after-all.

Anyway, as I wrote, nice visuals, good animation, and western-friendly music will make this popular here, plus all the pretty boys for the girls
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote