View Single Post
Old 2013-01-02, 18:48   Link #168
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Like Junpei Manaka from Strawberry 100%. Back then, I thought confessing while doing pull-ups was cool. I'm not sure now.

So my last post doesn't explain why the "love at first sight" concept is abused to death, now, does it? At least in romance flicks in our country the guy has to do his part.
I don't think 'love at first sight' is used that much anymore. There's usually some kind of reason behind it (even if they're not very plausible). I think only the more gag/comedy based harems will just throw in the 'love at first sight' kind of reason for having female leads like the main character, whereas the more drama based ones will try to make it slightly more realistic.

Like in Ichigo 100%, it was actually later explained that Nishino was interested in Manaka even before his confession. The pull ups just reminded her of her previous interest. Plus it was also shown that she's not that interested in good looking guys. Manaka was essentially Touya's prince, they shared similar dreams and he was her inspiration for her own writing. Satsuki and Manaka started out as enemies, then became friends, and finally there was attraction. Manaka was also basically the first guy Kozue could talk to/be near.

In fact, generally it's the guy who 'falls in love at first sight' towards the female protagonist even though there's not any reason other than the fact that she's super hot.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote