View Single Post
Old 2004-04-30, 02:08   Link #34
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2-FumoGuu
I want to know why most of these shows don't have better animation if they are in the top 10 and making more money than a well-drawn show like Chrno Crusade, Paranoia Agent, or Last Exile. Heck, if I had to pick the worst looking anime that I watch I think PoT, Gash, and Naruto would on the list.

I understand that casual viewers don't care as much about animation quality and some of the top 10 shows by nature don't need good animation (Maruko, Doraemon, Sazae). But some of these shows do need good animation. If Naruto were consistently well animated instead of one out of twenty-six epsidoes, how awesome would that be?
Simple: cost effectiveness.

While not entirely always, it is generally accepted that the number of episodes is inversely proportional to the quality of the animation.

Say for instance a typical anime costs around...oh let's just say 10,000,000 yen per episode.
At 13 episodes, that would cost 130,000,000 yen
At 26 episodes, that would cost 260,000,000 yen
Those numbers are feasible enough for several anime-related companies to get together to sponsor the costs.

But let's say you have an anime that is so popular that it is obviously going to easily be over 100+ episodes. Even if such popular anime has multinational corporations as sponsors, they are not going to be making an anime with the normal rate of 10,000,000 yen per episode. At 100 episodes, that would mean they would be spending a total of 1,000,000,000 yen. Instead, they would be making two, even three animes per 10,000,000 yen to save costs.

As always, a bad analogy would be:
A mass-produced consumer vehicle would be much cheaper than a Enzo Ferrari.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote