View Single Post
Old 2009-06-07, 10:14   Link #73
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I see, so at least for what concerns the races you have a point. It is still debatable if this is actually a winning strategy, and how that "transferring over and trying out" should be interpreted, since in another point they say they wish players to continue to play both games.
Thought that too until I read that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andriasang.com
In an effort to draw in the community from FFXI, the FFXIV dev staff is looking into letting FFXI players reuse their avatars in the new game. Yes, this means that we can expect some common points between the two titles as far as character races go. All five FFXI races will have their equivalents in FFIV. They'll look the same, but have different names and settings.

As for the exact number of races for FFXIV, Kawamoto would not say.

Outside of the avatars, the staff is looking into allowing players to move their name over, as they're sure many FFXI players will want to keep their friends when moving on to FFXIV in the future. Kawamoto said that they'll try their best to allow you to carry over your linkshells, friend list, and so-forth.

Kawamoto made it pretty clear that they're not even considering the idea of allowing you to carry over your character progress level, though. However, they do want to do some things along this line in order to support a community. He suggested that they may implement something that allows you to easily switch between playing FFXI and FFXIV.

The ideal implementation of this, explained Tanaka, would be to allow players in FFXI to call over friends from FFXIV, and vice versa. The developers considered making use of special items for this, like a Mog House that could transport you from FFXI to FFXIV. This ended up being difficult, so they gave up.
(http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/200...xiv_interview/)

How that will work or will even be possible is a different matter, but they do target the FF11 players pretty strongly.

I'm a little astonished by their simaltanous 'international' release. I'm used to wait a year or two for a game XD Fair enough it's an MMORPG but being able to play from the beginning is pretty neat.
Ah I need to pick up FF11 again after my exams
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote